peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Is that guacamole on your wall?

My first apartment in New York (the “real” one after dwelling in an interim basement for way too long) had a refrigerator that was an avocado color. And I painted the hood over the stove to match. One wall of the living room was exposed brick, which was really popular at the time, and I “exposed” the look of one kitchen wall by covering it with rough hewn crating wood. Yeah, that thin, flimsy stuff that fruit boxes are made out of. I have no clue where I came up with that idea; probably stolen from some other artsy-fartsy New York newbie. I painted my bedroom ceiling with an intricate scroll-like border that took forever to do. I was a youngish adult of the 70’s and proud of it. My tastes were admittedly transient and influenced by what (I thought) was groovy and cool at that time. Not kewl. Cool.

I had occasion recently to chat with Dorian, my own personal tech-geek who assists me with my computer hassles, and he told me he was working on a project for Pantone, the paint company, and he thought I might be interested in an article on their website regarding the rise and fall of color palettes in home décor over the last 40 years. Even though it is obviously a come-on to buy their paint it is still an interesting read.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=19758&ca=4

I must confess to a moment of LOL when I read about the 1970’s decade wherein “the dreaded ‘A’ word of both fashion and interior designers--avocado--had the American consumer in a full nelson, especially in the kitchen.” The dreaded “A” word! Oh, my goodness, I was the laughing stock of the design cognoscenti of that era! How did that happen and why didn’t I know it?

Nonetheless, although my tastes have now turned toward the “new,” darkly-muted colors and I have utilized them in both my stone-washed tank tops and in the stone-washed accented walls of my home. However, not to be totally steamrolled by fashion, I still painted two facing walls of the small alcove off my living room in, yes, avocado!

I really like both the color and the fruit (or is it a vegetable?) and I see no reason to compromise either my taste for its color or my taste for its smooth, seductive flavor. In a sandwich, in a salad, on an omelet or raw, with a scoop of blue cheese dressing, it's nectar for the gods. I also really like a good guacamole dip with crisp tortilla chips. So there, Mr. and Ms. Pantone! He who LOL’s first…etc.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorian NYC said...

Well Mr. Avocado ... it's a fruit; makes for a great dessert or shake ... my favorite way of having an avocado is to cut it in half when very ripe and top it with sea salt and lime juice ...

9:47 AM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

I see you have chosen to avoid stating an opinion regarding avocado as a decorative color choice. LOL

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home