peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Running With Knives

Yesterday I heard a truck being driven slowly past the house with a very distinctive “ping” of a bell. Thinking ice cream I looked out and it was a green truck with “Bob’s Grinding Service” emblazoned on its side. I rushed downstairs to grind him to a halt and ran back upstairs to get two old knives that I’ve had forever. They are the ones that were so dull they were reduced to being the tool of choice for cutting up cardboard boxes. But they are still favorites because they’re throw-back old and I like the cut of their jib. Bob sharpened them while I waited and now they are capable of slicing a tomato (home grown) with razorblade precision. Actually, the best thing about the transaction was the old-world feel with a service being offered door-to-door. I think the last time this happened was at least seven or eight years ago when I heard (but did not buy) from an open-backed truck with the driver yelling “Straaaawberrieeeeeeeees!” Probably illegally, right? Anyway, I do think the knives are now in better shape than before but it was the process of getting them sharpened that was cool.

After writing the above I Googled the airwaves for possible references/information and, of course, there were 157 hits about getting your knives sharpened (in my neighborhood) in general and Bob’s mobile service in particular. At least I’m in the top 200. BTW; when I overpaid Bob (I choose to think he was Bob and I overpaid because I was so pleased with the service) and he handed them back to me he said, "Great old knives." I agree. Now where's that strawberry guy?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

This is a great story. Showing once again that New York, the largest and most cosmopolitan of cities, has at the same time, active components of the smallest village. Now what will you use for boxes?

JessCat

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home