peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Trouble in Paradise

This is killing me.  Yesterday I got this e-mail (in part):

“The pool is temporarily closed. An inspector for the state Health Department cited us today for not having a sufficient length rope attached to the life preserver ring and because the pH level of the water was too high (8.0 on a required scale of 7.2 to 7.8). Our maintenance man will be taking care of the rope first thing tomorrow and the pool cleaner will be asked to address the pH level.  We will try to get the inspector back out as soon as we can get the pool re-inspected and open, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.  These inspections are unannounced and we were unaware that any of these things needed to be addressed until we were notified today.  Please do not use the pool until further notice.”

The rope on the life preserver ring isn’t long enough?  Huh!  The pool is not all that big and I thought that life preserver was purely decorative.  The pH level is a fraction too high?  Our pool guy was here in the morning and shocked the pool with some chemicals (as he does twice a week) and has told me previously not to use the pool for 20 minutes (since I’m usually the only person out there).  So this time an inspector shows up during that exact time and checks our pH level?  How about giving a warning about short ropes and too much chlorine (or whatever) before closing us down?

It reminds me of my local deli in Brooklyn getting cited (with a $175 fine) for having a sandwich board too far out on the sidewalk.  How about walking into the store and saying, “Hey, move your sandwich board!”

Sometimes big brother is too much too petty too soon.
 
But, hey, you know, “Sorry for any inconvenience.”
------------------------------------------------------------
Update 11/27/15 -- Pool open for business this morning.  New life preserver with a lengthy rope; and, presumably, water chemically correct.  Woohoo!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Robot said...

Do they measure the rope every inspection? Who shortened it? Guess the pool guy is going to have stay there for the 20 minutes.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

The irony, of course, is that over the year or so you've lived at this complex, you are often the only one who uses the pool. You've been cautioned about using the pool too soon after treatment and if there's no-one around to cast the life preserver, it's pretty much decorative. I'm actually a huge fan of Big Brother (for reasons other than the fact that I really like mine), though it always annoys me when common sense isn't applied. I appreciate someone without an axe to grind who's charged with pointing out problems that may become significant only in the aftermath of some tragedy. Sometimes we just need new set of eyes. But "Gotcha" should never be on an inspector's agenda.

10:12 PM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

We have been assured the problems have been fixed and we not only have a new rope (presumably of sufficient length); we have a new life preserver. Despite the sign still being in place, this afternoon's bright sunshine drew me to the water's edge and I sat down with my feet in the water. It was heaven thumbing my nose at authority and I also had nice cool feet. Unfortunately tonight, while showering, they fell off. I was unable to save them for a possible transplant because they turned to liquid mush and washed away. Dang it; I need those feet. My bowling average is suffering enough already.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

Therefore a new and sinister meaning to the term "footloose in Fort Lauderdale." The next time I visit, I promise to feign drowning to see if anybody bothers to cast the life preserver. Given my history, I fatalistically assume everyone will presume I'm kidding.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home