peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Monday, January 22, 2007

Gutter Attitude

I guess I’ve got to say it since no once else is likely to include it in their blog. I kicked butt at the Ft. Lauderdale Invitational Regional Bowling Tournament. My low average and my high handicap brought home the bacon meaning, in this case, a nice Mark Spitz-ish medal, a free bowling ball and some good $$$. The problem with this kind of tournament is that you have to bowl a LOT of games (singles, doubles and team, plus a special scratch tournament) and if you’re not in some sort of good shape you’re in trouble. Yes, as you correctly surmise, I was in deep trouble. After umpteen games over a two-day period I was doing well and, with about three games to go, I began to think, “Hey, wait a minute, I CAN WIN THIS THING!” So I stopped trying to have fun; stopped the kidding around; stopped giving high-fives to my competitors and went into a private bubble of concentration, not only to stay calm but to attempt to REST. My right arm was killing me from the elbow to the tips of my fingers. My left leg was almost shivering with fatigue. And then, dear hearts, I won the Scratch Masters tournament (Division A; the lowest averaged people), and I have this medal to prove it. I can barely believe it myself. Of course my right arm had to be amputated at the elbow and my left calf has a permanent charley horse but that’s the price one pays for glory. Overall this tournament again proves my favorite theory: Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home