peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Saturday, December 02, 2006

In Comes Company

The revival of Stephen Sondheim’s Company opened Wednesday night to mixed reviews on Thursday. I saw it last night, Friday. I had been anticipating seeing this show for some time, having purchased tickets as soon as they came on the market months ago. I saw the original production at least three decades ago and my memory of it remains more than pleasant so I have the pleasure to report this new production lived up to my expectations. The staging is brilliant and everybody in it is brilliant and it’s another one of those brilliant technical marvels that you see only on Broadway. It’s wonderful ensemble work including the ostensible star, Raul Esparza. The show has two or three of those throat clenching moments of sheer beauty that can only be found on stage, from committed actors performing a work of genius.

After all that I must say this: although I’m familiar with the songs, it was like hearing the music for the first time. I don’t think I’ve ever singled out an orchestration for praise before, but I just gotta: The Musical Supervision and Orchestration are by Mary-Mitchell Campbell and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more pure and appropriate melodic line that is totally appropriate to the story. It was pure ecstasy to these jaded old ears. I really am a sucker for the reverberation of a solo oboe; solo flute; solo cello, etc. and there is plenty of that, and more. Even the damn triangle had its moment. Overall both my brain and that other special organ, my heart, were fulfilled. That’s high praise from cynical old me, ya know.

Right now, on Saturday evening, I know at this very moment Company is being performed again and that same beautiful music is bringing people close to tears. I wish I was there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home