peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

ZZ Top

The complex within which I now dwell is two floors in height and U-shaped, with walkways fronting each facade.  It kind of reminds me of the old resorts in Palm Springs, Calif. where, in my not too distant past, I used to go to frolic and gambol among the slithy toves.

Some of my neighbors are long term and have claimed their right to mark their territory with plants and an outdoor chair or two.  Although some areas are unkempt I still like the ambiance they provide to passersby but, aside from generic doormats, my section of my leg of the U was empty of even a little bit of charm.

  I leapt into that breach last week with a small glazed pot containing a “ZZ Plant.”  In Googling for knowledge of its pedigree and care, I found that “if ever there was the perfect plant for the ultimate brown thumb, the easy zz plant is it.”  Although I think my thumb shades toward green, a zmiaculus zamiafolia is a good start not only to fit in with my eco-neighbors but a nice visual as I come and go.  Of course I had to embellish the overall look with a strategically placed seashell.  I hope the lizards and other wandering fauna, human and otherwise, appreciate the effort.
-----------------------------------------------
Update February 4, 2015:  Outdoor living does not agree with a ZZ Plant.  Oh, it is hardy enough to withstand extremes of weather and overwatering but what it cannot survive is critters of some sort who started making it a part of their daily diet.  So I had to whisk it indoors where it is flourishing nicely without fear of being someone's, or something's, midnight snack.

2 Comments:

Blogger flamingo51 said...

Do you know if that plant is sometimes known as a Cardboard Palm?

2:14 PM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

Nope.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home