peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Penumbra

Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, a novel by Robin Sloan, is (to date) the geekiest book I’ve ever read.  The fact that it is even a book, with pages and print, and has front-cover art and blurbs full of praise on the back-cover seem to be against everything the actual content espouses.  About 42 pages into the book (paperback), when the protagonist is accomplishing some small but impressive computer task, he actually says “If this sounds impressive to you, you’re over thirty.”  The fact that he actually says this made me take the time to feel slightly insulted but thereafter he pretty much has it right.  Luckily the book lends reverence and relevance to both camps; that is, actual books and all the stuff that seems to be running amok at Google.  The fact that both kinds of research complements the other might be a stretch because it seems to me the printed page in real life; I mean printed on real paper bound between two covers, just might be an art form on its last legs.  Nonetheless, I liked the book.  And I’m way over thirty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

There are a number of things that pleased me about this book -- I like your blog observations. I was also amused by the fact that I was reading paper, wondered in passing if it would have felt different if I was on a Kindle or other device. I was gratified by the low tech answer to the riddle. A satisfying summer beach read.

12:00 AM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

Not a summer beach read at all. It needs to be read in at least a partial eclipse.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home