peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mitt should see this...

The Book of Mormon won the Tony award for best musical in 2011 and it has pretty much been sold out ever since. It took me almost a year to get a ticket and that was only because I had houseguests this weekend who coughed up the very steep price in gratitude for me allowing them to sleep on my kitchen floor under the refrigerator.

It’s a very good show and I enjoyed it. What I don’t get is why the hell hasn’t the Mormon Church of the Latter Day Saints made a concerted effort to shut it down? The picket line should be circling that block 24/7. From the very fiber of its being the play is totally subversive regarding every facet of the church, including its founding and all of its subsequent history. Even the happy ending is totally dismissive of everything the Mormon Church stands for. I have heard people say it is an “affectionate spoof” but, honey pie; it takes no prisoners and is anything but affectionate.

This production proves one thing and that is that we certainly do live in a country of free speech. I’m sure those guys over on Fifth Ave. are just hoping (and maybe, even, praying) that the creators of The Book of Mormon don’t turn their beady eyes on that saintly cathedral from which the Vatican rules. Would an inquisition soon follow?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

So other than that, Mrs... er... Smith, how did you all like the play?

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home