peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Monday, May 25, 2009

Knit Picking

Parking meters wearing leg warmers…that’s all I could think of when I saw this “urban art project” Saturday on Montague St. in Brooklyn Heights.

The project was conceived by the executive director of the Montague Street BID (Business Improvement District), Chelsea Mauldin (great name!), who then commissioned the project through an international “knitter” named Magda Sayeg. They sent out specifications (the sleeves are really just long rectangles wrapped around the meter poles) to, well, I’m not sure to whom…but they got responses from volunteers from as far away as San Francisco, Paris and Santiago, Chile.

The installation, called simply “69 Meters,” lines both sides of the street for its short length (three or four blocks) and, strangely, they are easy to miss. I had read about them in The New York Times (who called them, not very seriously I suspect, “parking meter tea cozies”) so I was paying attention but I noticed that the majority of passersby did just that; that is, passing by without really registering their presence. I’m not surprised by this because there really isn’t much to look at (and they kind of blend in with parked cars) and I’m not exactly thrilled by the “artistry.” They are simply knitted sleeves of yarn, some brightly colored; some not so much, and I suppose they are supposed to be “charming” in sort-of a homemade way. Well, perhaps they are to some people. Me, I’d rather see waterfalls in the East River and gigantic erector sets at Rockefeller Center.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

Has anyone polled the local dogs to see if they appreciate the art? I think this it's a funny idea but for the logistics of keeping the cozies clean. I hope the installation is planned to be short term 'cause soon it's gonna stink!

JesSis

12:08 AM  
Anonymous b said...

I was going to comment on what a lame idea this was...but after reading Jessie's comment I have to add gross to the lame.

Parking meters...pffft. How last century.

3:43 PM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

unknit thy furrowed brows, mine siblings; this "installation" is planned to end in mid-June, although with the weather we've been having lately I'm sure some of the individual pieces are already in tatters...

1:35 AM  
Blogger Norskybear said...

The concept of guerilla knitting has been around for awhile, although these seem to be poor examples of it. Also, you're not really supposed to advertise the illegal activity, just go out and do it.

Knitta, please!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home