peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dandelion Whine

Although definitely a weed, dandelions can actually be beautiful in two phases of its existence.  Its bloom is a brilliant yellow and a bed of them, especially at a remove of ten feet or so, is attractive.  These flowers morph into the seed ball that we all know and love and, if you’re like me, many a childhood reverie was accompanied by blowing gently into the core of the cloudy orb and sending beautiful little parachutes into the wind, presumably to take root far from the origin of its existence.  And, of course, annoy the owners of manicured lawns everywhere.
 
But, and no buts about it, dandelions are definitely a weed; the definition of which generally means any plant you don’t want.  When dandelions are let loose in one’s garden they will blanket the landscape and choke out anything in their path.  The stems and leaves interlock and the roots go deep into the soil, and evil commences.  They usurp the territory of every other plant and, if not sent to hell in time, they choke off all other flora except, maybe, English ivy.

This year, because of our brutal winter, I was sure nothing would survive but somehow my spring garden has produced a bumper crop of dandelions.  I let them have their way for a week or so and enjoyed the brilliant yellow of their light brigade.  But yesterday I armed myself with the proper tools and the physical aggression required and heartlessly uprooted the little bastards and sent them to hell.  But, for some strange reason, I left a small area, maybe 3’ x 3’, to live out the proper order of their little (but evil) hearts just so I can witness the next phase.  If the wind doesn’t blow away the little pistils of survival I’ll do it myself.  They certainly don’t need me to propagate their species but hey, you never know, maybe I have saved the world or, at least, prolonged it by a thousand years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home