peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Friday, May 24, 2013

Broadway boos


Last October I saw “Tribes,” a well-received off-Broadway show by Nina Raine. I was moved by much of the play but pretty much un-moved by the staging of it despite all the accolades it received. Soon after I sat down to get my thoughts into words and, after finding that the negatives outweighed the positives, I realized I must have not liked it as much as I had first thought. Not wanting to bum anybody out, including myself, I abandoned ship.

Now I’m pretty much feeling the same thing about Christopher Durang’s “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike” which is now enjoying plenty of plaudits and a whole slew of Tony Award nominations. I don’t get it. It was a pleasant enough evening and the play was entertaining in spots if you like mugging as a form of acting. Even the set design, although attractive, was underutilized and therefore useless. The spontaneous standing ovation was a surprise and I think sincere; more than usual since Broadway audiences seem to think it necessary for even the most mundane plays and performances.

I must confess here (honesty should prevail!) I really wanted to see Sigourney Weaver live and in living color and she was my main motivation for stumping to see “Vanya” over the other choices at the TKTS booth. So I’m a victim of my own star-fucking persona and, since she was only adequate, I deserve my disappointment. I don’t regret seeing this show but I’m really feeling out of it for not much caring for it. Maybe I should just abandon ship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home