peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Jorge el Solitario 1912 - 2012

I have two travel destinations left on my bucket list. Australia/New Zealand and the Galapagos Islands. I’ve planned both trips several times but I’ve always been deterred by two things; lack of time and/or lack of money. The Galapagos seemed to be the most logical, and still is but now, alas, the last living sub-species of a tortoise named Lonesome George has died so I’ll not be able to visit his heart-shaped pool in the dusty pen where he slept and kept his peace from 1972 until last week. He was around 100 years old and I guess he just got tired of waiting for me.

The big question I have is why the hell he was named Lonesome George. My research reveals he was named after George Gobel, an American comedian of that era who used Lonesome George as a persona in his act. But why would the Ecuadorians (who own the Galapagos) go along with that? I’m not sure I even want to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home