peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wheel of Fortune

When I was in my mid-to-late 20’s I bought a unicycle. I don’t remember my motivation for such a purchase but, nonetheless, I spent hours practicing at a deserted tennis court a couple of blocks from my apartment in Sausalito, Calif. The high fencing was an excellent go-to element in mounting the unicycle even though, at first, it didn’t prevent me from crashing to the asphalt a couple of times. Anyway, after a month or so of dedicated practicing I became relatively proficient at it and even ventured onto the steep hillsides of Sausalito and started riding it around in public. Of course it was an attention-getter, which might have been my motivation in the first place, but after a while the stares and nudges of passersby palled. I realized that riding a unicycle, in most people’s minds, was a circus act and it was that part of the activity that pretty much got me back on my feet. The final blow happened one afternoon in late summer. A woman approached me on the street and asked me if I would ride in the town parade and, if I would consider it, she would sponsor me, had a costume that she thought would fit and would volunteer to do my make-up. I wouldn’t have to do anything but show up and ride through town. In other words I would clown around for the kiddies, albeit using a skill beyond making them squeal with laughter or fear (a good motivation of itself) on foot. Soon after I sold the unicycle to the husband of a co-worker and continued on my quest for expanding my universe in other ways.

I just wish there had been an organization then that exists today. That is, a whole group of extreme-unicyclists that test rough terrain similar to the current mountain biking movement extant throughout the U.S. (and world). Only they do it on one wheel! They are called “muni” (for mountain-unicycling) events and were pioneered in California (where else?) in the late 1990’s. The Unicycling Society of America has about 865 members and this year’s convention and championships were held this month in Rapid City, So. Dakota. So now I guess riding a unicycle has been manned-up and considered a sport rather than circus entertainment and it’s probably only a matter of time before it becomes an Olympic event. So put away the clown suit, lady, I’m wearing dude stuff in your parade.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. Way back in early high school I taught myself to juggle and became fairly proficient at that too; being able to keep five balls in the air at once (I can still do three). So maybe the clown gene hit me earlier than I thought. Thank goodness for downhill skiing and Scuba-diving. Those costumes at least look good.

One interesting side note: I think I paid about $60 (mail order) for my unicycle back in the day but now there are at least ten companies that make mountain unicycles, and they can run to more than $1,000 each.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home