peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Falling for Waterfalls

Four of these “waterfalls” are being switched on today. The work of Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson, they will rise (and fall) for three months this summer and give us New Yorkers another reason to get out and about. The coolest one I think (well, the only one I’ve actually seen working so I probably shouldn’t jump to this conclusion) is the one that looks like it’s flowing from the underworks of the Brooklyn Bridge. I’m saying this because the BB structure itself gives the waterfall some context…the other three sort-of flow from thin air, albeit in a monumental way, and are more reminiscent of a fountain than a waterfall. Still impressive though, since they range from 90 to 120 feet high they prove, yet again, that size matters. After getting over the bladder-effective observance of so much rushing water I was thrilled by Mr. Oliasson’s nice idea and, once again, truly appreciate that gang over at The New York Public Arts Fund for going along with it. My NYC tax money, well spent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home