peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Susan Who?

Well, the time has come to admit (at least to myself) that I have reached the age when the boobs on the tube advise us to stay indoors, well hydrated and to pay attention to the “reduced air quality” advisories.  Today was that day.
 
But my black eyed Susan bush was worth my own gasping foray into the backyard this afternoon.  I planted this bit of flora a couple of years ago to fill a gap in the hedge and this year it has rewarded me with dozens of blossoms and a simple beauty that warms the soul; even though the heat in which it thrives has the potential to stop the heart.  It and, for that matter, all the plants and bushes welcomed me and my trusty garden hose set on “shower.”  I could tell because within ten minutes they were all again standing at attention.  Don’t worry, my pets, the rains come; artificial or not.
 
Since the centers of the blossoms of my particular Susan are an obvious brown I had to wonder why this plant is called a black eyed Susan.  Wikipedia informs me that another common name for it is brown eyed Susan.  Well, huh!  But wait, although I understand the “eyed” part, why “Susan?”  Wikipedia does not explain.

The black eyed Susan is the state flower of Maryland. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home