peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Derek's back!

I have always denied being a member of the New York Yankee fan “cult.”  Simply because their arrogance and, let’s face it, their historically and financially winning ways makes them fascinating shouldn’t be reason enough to jump on that bandwagon.  The alternative in my area, the NY Mets, is just too laughable to even consider spending any time, much less a nickel on supporting a notable bunch of losers.
 
The big reason for following the Yankees has always been a fantastic roster of superstars and, whatever you might think of them, they are damned exciting to watch.  Except not this year because of a plethora of major injuries to key players.  They seem to have one (healthy) superstar, that being Robinson Cano, but everybody else is such a lesser light than Cano it’s like watching high school level baseball.  It can be fun but, hey, I’m way beyond being okay with incompetence.
 
What I have always admitted to, and the reason I might be considered a Yankee fan (by the uneducated) is my fondness for Derek Jeter.  Although Derek and I have always had this close relationship, totally platonic of course and strangely one-sided, he is the reason I would even consider watching a Thursday day-game against the Kansas City Royals.  It was way cool to see him back in harness and playing with his usual enthusiasm and just basic joy of playing.
 
Rock on, Derek, you will always be the bobble-head in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home