peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, March 15, 2012

One WTC: A worms eye view

This Monday I had occasion to be in the Wall Street area of downtown Manhattan. After my appointment I strolled over to the construction site of One World Trade Center just to take a personal look at progress. The building has now reached the 93rd floor with 11 more to go before being topped out. Soon after it reaches this height, the construction of the 408 foot “transmittal” tower will begin which will take the overall building to its planned height of 1776 feet.

The view of the building from the street is overwhelming, it being about ten floors of an intimidating fortress-like façade with little decorative embellishment to catch the eye. The rest is a tower of glass rising beyond one’s ability to stretch one’s neck bones enough to take it all in . Just to put it in some sort of proportion you need to be at least five blocks away (I recommend the corner of Fulton St. at, maybe, William St. to get the full impact.

I have only one word to describe it right now: huge. Maybe next year other adjectives can be added. I’m hoping, at best, for “soaring.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home