peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Goosed by The Times

On January 2, 2012 The New York Times daily newsstand price increased by 50 cents to $2.50. I was outraged. If you know me you know I swear by The New York Times; its content I mean, not its new price. I know, I know, an extra 50 cents a day doesn’t sound like much but, hey, it’s one of those straw/camel things.

So I’m trying a new tactic. I will buy the Wednesday, Friday and Sunday issues and forego the rest. So far it has worked out because I don’t miss the Saturday issue at all (it’s very skimpy) even though the crossword on that day is difficult enough to be interesting. The Monday issue is the second lowest in content and the crossword is relatively easy and, usually anyway, I still have quite a bit of the Sunday issue left over to go with my coffee on Mondays and even, sometimes, on Tuesday.

I have avoided subscribing to it for two reasons. First, I don’t always want it (especially when I’m off gallivanting to distant climes) and secondly, I don’t want to be put on yet another “target” list for advertisers who pay the Times for my name, rank and serial number. Being a Times reader seems to make certain corporations salivate over my perceived income, interests, tastes and proclivities.

Thursdays (today) are proving difficult but, so far, I’ve decided I can pick up a good book for reading material and Fridays can be looked forward to for its double whammy on the “Arts.” As the Thursday hours fly by I am less and less tempted to rush to the corner for my Times fix. Like any other withdrawal from an addiction it will probably take a while to settle down. I guess reading the Times is one of those habits you didn’t even know you had until you’re goosed into realizing it by outside forces. I consider myself goosed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home