peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Poll Dancing

I’m never been officially asked my opinion about anything and I always wonder, when I read about polls being taken on a variety of subjects, if the results ever really include what I think on any given subject. Sometimes my opinion jibes with one side or the other (mostly I’m in the minority) but, hey, why doesn’t somebody call me to get the real poop from a person with plenty to spare?

There was a phone-interview poll taken recently by New York Times/CBS News regarding the level of concern over immigration (prompted by the current situation in Arizona) which included a statement on how the poll was conducted and it’s no wonder why I haven’t been contacted. They only called 1,079 adults! They do say that there are possibilities for sampling errors which means the results can vary from 3 to 4% either way but, hey, a variance of only 6% from a poll of 1,079 ain’t chicken feed!

My problem (besides not being asked) is that if people are like me it depends on a lot of factors as to how my answer would be forthcoming, including the time of day. Call me too early in the morning and you’re liable to get an entirely different opinion from the one I would proffer at, say, 4:30 p.m. on a weekday. Call on a weekend or while I’m eating could also slant the result, especially during dessert. I also have a penchant for changing my opinion over time depending on new evidence or even just a convincing argument from the opposing camp that makes my resolve waver. My strong stance(s) are only as good as my current information but you give me reason to change it and I will. Of course slipping me a fin can always alter my bias.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home