peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ships & Cocktails...Size Matters

When I saw the television news reports (and the YouTube video) of the arrival of the Oasis of the Seas into its home port in Florida I pretty much reacted typically. That is, I scoffed and questioned just who the hell would want to actually cruise on a ship of that size? As humans we certainly have a herd instinct but thankfully most people value their individuality too, and most of us land somewhere in between. The Oasis is the world’s largest cruise ship ever. It is 1,187 feet long, has 16 decks and is capable of stuffing seven or eight thousand people (counting crew) into its innards, presumably in some comfort. So, in my smugness, I felt vindicated about not even considering drawing on my ever-diminishing cache of discretionary income to indulge in such folly.

But, then, hey…it dawned on me that while watching that video and marveling at the sheer size of the ship I was envying those tiny people lining the railings, looking back at me. They were the participatory voyagers in the cat-bird seat and I was just an umpteenth-removed voyeur back in my little apartment amid the equally swarming streets of New York City. So, now, who wants to be on that ship?

I do.

On Dec. 5 the Oasis will embark on its maiden voyage, making the usual stops in the Caribbean--I guess St. Thomas, et al. But the ports of call are irrelevant. The ship itself is the cake, icing and all. If the weather is really fine I can envision spending three or four days just lolling and lounging around her many venues while berthed at Port Everglades, Fla. Or, failing that, rudderless roving on the open seas to catch the sun and fresh breezes to go along with the poolside SPF 30 and the tall, frosted, fruity cocktails-with-umbrellas that are a natural craving while tropically cruising. A Friend of Bill I’m not and even though I pretty much loathe pina coladas, they just seem so right during Bingo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous croix Picoriello said...

Do you really want to embark on this monstrosity?? Ah well I know I at least want to see how she is laid out.. But why go to sea to see "Central Park" when you can just go to the real thing and even have to dodge a mugger or two.. I hear that there are spots available thru the maiden season..

11:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We saw it, today. Imposing. From miles away, a monstrosity.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home