peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Where the Wild Things Aren't

Maurice Sendak’s children’s book “Where the Wild Things Are” is a major work of art. However, despite my fond memories of it, I now realize there are very few children who have the background and life experiences to actually appreciate it. My sister told me she asked her grown son what his memories were of the book and he answered (I’m paraphrasing here) “Well, the grown-ups liked it.”

And there you have it in a nutshell. Where the Wild Things Are is an absolutely great children’s book in the eyes of the adults who buy it for them. Real, living, breathing children much prefer purple Barney in all his blobby stupidity and we have to sigh and admit that’s the norm.

Wild Things was published in 1963 and it was a sensation and garnered a fortune for Mr. Sendak and his publishers. During the subsequent decades I understand many overtures were made by a variety of talents to obtain movie rights but all offers were shunned as not worthy. But, somehow, Sendak (and his publishers) decided the time is right (and possibly the profit-sharing) and Where the Wild Things Are, the movie, was released a couple/three weeks ago amid much hoopla and, yes, admiration by most of the critics. The grown-up ones.

Spike Jonze’s movie is no more a children’s movie than the book is and, frankly, I’m on the fence about it. First, I was very disappointed that it’s not the great movie I wanted it to be, so I guess the fault lies within my own expectations. Secondly, it’s a good movie with a lot of the elements of the book remaining (or suggested), but I thought Mr. Jonze pretty much messed it up.

There are undoubtedly some beautiful images (it was filmed in Australia) but that’s not enough for me. I wanted love and only got like. Of course I’m dealing from my own nostalgia but even though the film seems to be making money, it’s not the definitive version it should have been. Mr. Sendak (and his publishers) should have left it alone…they certainly don’t need the bucks but, hey, we live in an age where maximizing profits is the norm.

Oh, well; the book will live on as the classic it is. But the ordinary movie made from it will not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

Unfulfilled expectations: I agree that was the problem with Wild Things. Not that I had articulated those expectations beforehand. The book was captivating and amazing with Sendak's vision of childhood as something other than free play with puppies & bunnies. The movie captures that feel and the pain in childlike terms. Worth seeing and discussing.

Childhood often isn't a happy time. We have lots of therapists to prove it.

JessCat

12:49 PM  
Anonymous b said...

I've had a copy of Where the Wild Things Are, which I've carried with me for the past 35 years. The story terrified and fascinated me when I was a child.

I've always felt a connection to the book. In many ways, I've always felt like Max in his dirty, smelly costume.

To this day, the book inspires conflicting feelings whenever I leaf through it. Actually, I gave the book to my great niece last Christmas. I don't think her mother thought it was that great of a gift.

After reading your review, I will not go and see the movie.

11:43 PM  
Blogger peebstuff said...

Oh, you wild thing, you...if you don't go to it how are we going to discuss it? You might be terrified and fascinated and I now regret that expressing my curmudgeonly disappointment is deterring you from seeing it. ...see JessCat's comment above.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

My son commented that he thought it was well worth seeing even though he's not a big fan of Spike Jonze' cinematography style. I thought it visually stunning and the churning camera work fit the feel of this child's nightmare/dream. It's very interesting how strongly people feel about the book, one way or the other. Sendak tapped into a vein.

JessCat

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home