peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Monday, July 06, 2009

Nowhere to go but UP

UP might be my favorite Pixar movie so far. Maybe second to Monsters, Inc. (in my opinion their most imaginative film to date), but still right up there in the top three; The Incredibles being the third (debatable) fav. They are all wonderful for different reasons and it’s astounding to me how Pixar never seems to drop the ball. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that UP and Monsters are directed by the same person, Pete Doctor. The man has a Midas touch and is unafraid to pander to adult sensibilities and lets the under-12 crowd fend for itself which is, in a way, showing a lot of respect for the acumen of that age bracket. (I should insert here that I hated the trailer for Toy Story 3; talk about pandering to future merchandising.)

Like all Pixar products the perfection is in the details in UP and my own boy scout background has a great deal to do with my appreciation of it. And the variety of merit badges that can be earned being a Wilderness Explorer just tickled me to death. I do wonder what one has to do to earn the badge showing the radiation symbol and, even more intriguing, the mushroom cloud (I’m pretty sure that’s what it was). Also there is just so much going on in the background that, so far, two viewings are probably just not enough to notice them all. It had to be pointed out to me that at the end of the movie the zeppelin is moored in a handicapped parking space curbside. And I loved it when Russell, our intrepid scout, pointed out that South America is in America, only SOUTH. And his merit badge in zoology gave him the knowledge that there are no tigers in Peru. Another intriguing aspect is that Russell is obviously Asian but nothing is made of that fact and also, although his home life isn’t the best (absentee working-father and Phyliss, the mother-figure in his life, is not really his mother), he is not a neglected child by any means. Nothing Dickens going on here.

I think this is the first animated film I’ve seen where there really is true human evil afoot, with revenge, menace, madness, and murderous mayhem as part of its theme. (The witch in Snow White doesn’t count, does she?) Alongside the cuddly talking dog (named Dug) and the outright beauty of some of the land and skyscapes, UP is really an unusual movie and not just because it’s animated. It has heart, hope and redemption. And, weepy as this sounds, true long-lasting love as a theme ain’t too far behind. Geriatric sympathy and respect for the elderly is sure a welcome difference in spite of the sore backs.

UP is exceptionally clever; astoundingly artful and has many laughs, both visual and verbal and makes you feel good because of the sunny-side-of-the-street ending. Of course there’s always the fact that, despite the many close-calls and dangerous misadventures, you know darn well that nothing really bad is going to happen to all of your heroes: human, canine or avian. This is as it should be and please, Mr. Lassiter, no sequels for this one.

3 Comments:

Anonymous b said...

Is this the first Pixar movie where a character (two human characters, actually) dies?

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Jessie in SF said...

I don't know if you count this since they're non human, but remember the beginning of Finding Nemo? Nemo's mother and ALL of his sibling eggs are destroyed. It was pretty shocking!

JessCat

4:05 PM  
Anonymous peebstuff said...

I think there was a large body count in The Incredibles. I always wonder how mad scientists always seem to have a whole phalanx of loyal henchmen who buy the farm without apparent recompense.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home