peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Singing with Depp

I have seen three actors play the role of Sweeney Todd on stage: Len Cariou, George Hearn and Michael Cerveris. All really good; all charismatic in their own way with gorgeous baritones shaded with despair and madness; a depth of feeling unusual in modern stage productions. Sweeney is right up there among my all-time fav. Broadway shows. Now here comes the movie; scheduled to open Dec. 21. Tim Burton as director I’m totally cool with. Johnny Depp as Sweeney? Oh, dear, I dunno. I’ve heard he’s doing his own singing which could be a plus, but also could be one disappointing disaster. The pivotal role of Mrs. Lovett, definitively portrayed by Angela Lansbury on stage has gone to Helena Bonham Carter, one beautiful lady (uh oh), also doing her own singing. Alan Rickman as Judge Turpin? Does he even sing?

I know it’s not good to judge a movie by it’s poster but what’s with Depp’s streak of white hair? Didn’t that style go out with Cruella deVille? This might be one nightmare before Christmas I don’t want to have. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home