peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Queasy Chaperone

My friend Paul from Queasy, Mass. blew through town early this week and we cadged half-price tickets (on him) to Drowsy Chaperone. Paul is a lot more forgiving than I am as far as musical theater goes and his one-word reaction/review was “cute.” I have trouble keeping things that simple but if limited to one word I would go along with that except, for me, maybe “non-offensive” might be a better choice (do hyphens count?). As a spoof it was certainly head and shoulders better than Xanadu but not quite as good as Curtains. Chaperone has been on the boards for a couple of years now but it probably would have gotten the same monosyllabic reaction from us if we had gone to opening night (it did garner several Tony awards although I can’t remember which ones). As in Curtains, and others, you just can’t beat the happy dancin’ feet of a Broadway show although, egad, one cast member in Chaperone did a roller skating bit. I’m going to start putting roller skates up there with revolving stages as a revoltin’ development in modern theater.

We also had pre-theater dinner (I do love expense-account dining) at a nifty place called Etcetera, Etcetera on West 44th. Cool and pricey with a short, but choice, menu and I love the food and the place if only for the Maker’s Mark manhattans (perfectly served). Right next door is a joint called The Bull Moose Saloon, the polar opposite of Etcetera, Etcetera. Maybe next time we can wear jeans and a lumberjack shirt and have, mmm, ribs and a Bud at the Moose.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly, the delighful conversation over an expense account dinner, and your marvelous company, can only substantiant my overall critique of cuteness for the evening...Drowsyness aside...
However, you failed to point out - the specific landmarks to the general public, that Etc. Etc, has the Bull Moose Saloon to one side, whilst, Dyke Lumber Company is on the other side...
xoxo
Paul from Quesy, MA

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home