peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Nail Pride

This is NOT a joke; honest! So it’s Gay Pride day in NYC and not for any particular celebratory reason thereof I decided to get a manicure at the little shop in my neighborhood. It’s run by an older Chinese lady and staffed by several Chinese girls (and one boy); obviously newly minted “visitors” to this country from lord knows where on the other side of the world. They are well-trained manicurists and, as usual in these establishments, chatter away to each other while they ply their trade…their expertise in the English language, however, is a cliché.

Did I mention what day this was in NYC?

Anyway, my manicurist was a newbie and, although I asked her name, I didn’t really understand the answer or whether or not she actually told me her name. My fault, I guess, I should have persevered: “John” (pointing at myself); maybe then we would have made a connection of some sort. Maybe not. Anyway, after an excellent manicure and subsequent creamy hand massage and a warm wet-towel scrub, she clasped my hands prayerfully together, looked me straight in the eye and said, “Want queer polish?”

What do you think I answered, delighted that she would notice? Why, yes, thank you…and I went merrily on my way, my nails shiny and sparkling, filled with Pride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home