peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Partners in Crime

For 18 years I’ve been a patron of a bookstore in the West Village called Partners & Crime. Through the years I’ve been fairly supportive (admittedly, not always) by buying retail and feeling good about myself for being loyal and helping to keep a small, independent bookstore thriving. Also their gift certificates were always a good fallback option and recipients appreciated the gesture. About three weeks ago P&C announced their demise and the closing date has been set for September 20. When I heard this news I felt bad.

Last week I took a final visit to the store and, frankly, I no longer feel all that sorry they are closing. I thought my visit would be sad and nostalgic but it turns out it was a lesson in business reality. They advertised this great big sale, which I suppose got a lot of people into the store, but the reality is that there are no bargains. They have the usual $1 tables they always had but everything else was cover price; retail…no discounts. There were two double shelves that were labeled $5 and $10 and, of course, every customer was drawn to those displays. I picked those over pretty carefully and chose two from the $5 shelves but when I looked closer at these two books, and then all of the others; conspicuously on the front and/or back covers was stated things like “Advance Readers’ Edition—Not for Sale” or “This is an uncorrected proof, it should not be quoted without comparison with the finished book.” In other words Partners & Crime was selling off the books they got for free…therefore reaping a 100% profit (or something…what’s the profit margin over zero?).

I overheard a customer telling the clerk he thought all the books that were being sold at the cover price should be at least half that amount and he got a very testy, “Well, we still have to pay the rent!” response. Also I heard him tell a woman, who had inquired about it, that, yes, their website will continue in business. A couple of well-placed crocodile tears seem appropriate but, really, anything more would be just a crock. See you on Amazon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home