peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Good Walk...

Having participated in structured competitive sports throughout my life, both individual (skiing, swimming, tennis) and team (basketball, softball, volleyball), I continue to claim a place in jockdom even though, in my dotage, I limit myself to league bowling (I pride myself on having recognized personal physical limitations as athletic strength waned and I knew when to hang up each individual jock strap when the time came).

The one major sport that passed me by was golf. I never developed an interest and even when (for business reasons) it became expected of me, I still remained reluctant to participate. Mark Twain said “golf is a good walk ruined” and I bought into that and pretty much continue to do so. If it wasn’t for Tiger Woods it wouldn’t even be an issue.

But Tiger is an athletic miracle and it pleases me to watch him ply his trade on the tube (I wouldn’t dream of actually going to a tournament). When he went on hiatus for almost a year and disappeared from the links, so did I. Now he’s back and I continue to check him out, not as a priority in my sports watching, but still maintaining interest as he mounts assaults on all major records in his sport. Starting today he’s participating in a PGA tournament at a new course in Jersey City, right across the lower Hudson estuary from downtown Manhattan. The local sports blatts are indulging themselves in an ecstasy of adjectives describing the views supplied by this tournament, totally based on some iconic urban geography including bridges and statuary. But I must admit the photos do look pretty hot; so this time I’ll tune in not for just Tiger, but for the view(s).

If I write anything more about it, which is doubtful, my review will not be a paean of any kind since I’m really not much moved by the sport as a whole. But I have noticed one fairly obvious thing; which I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere. The Statue of Liberty is prominent in the background of a high percentage of the 18 holes of this course which is pretty cool. She is, however, facing the other way. So if I write anything it will be limited to a paean to her ass. (I will not apologize; I will not apologize.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home