peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Monday, May 19, 2008

You've got 4,732 new messages...

This annoys me. I’ve had many occasions to drive, or be driven, to JFK Airport over the last few months and I’m annoyed every time by this “sculpture,” including today when dropping my sis off at JetBlue. About a year ago, or so, I noticed this rather tall, maybe 35 foot, structure being built (created?) at the entrance to JFK. It was in various stages of completion over time and its intent is now obvious. It’s a “sculpture” of a huge hand holding a cellphone. Calling it a sculpture is a reach because it’s really just a big old billboard, albeit in three dimensions. Somehow Samsung has been able to break through the official barrier of otherwise pristine, advertisement free, approaches to practically every airport in the civilized world. I’m sure it’s a coup of the first rank in marketing circles and my question is; how did they do it? And, more importantly in this age of branding every damn thing (including baseball stadiums), what does it bode for the future?

This big old hand thing is not in the least attractive or artistic or even interesting. And it is definitely a distraction for the less-than-careful driver. I would sure like to know the name and e-mail address of the person, or persons, who gave Samsung permission to erect these atrocities. Having knowledge of the deposits made to their individual bank accounts would also be a cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home