peebstuff

Blogging, as a way of life, seems to be bowing to the inevitability of Facebook and Twitter!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Going once...going twice...

I’ve always been intrigued by Lucian Freud’s portraits, especially the nudes, both men and women.

Uncompromising truth is sometimes difficult to look at and I think he captures this facet in all of us to an excruciating degree. He refuses to paint “pretty;” including his self-portraits (shown here).

I mentioned to a friend one time that if I were ever going to pose for a particular artist I would choose Lucian Freud and he said “I thought you already had” and sent me this photograph of a painting done in 1994 of Leigh Bowery, a performance artist and a friend of Freud’s. Oh for goodness sake, say I, he obviously doesn’t need me to pose for him, having already visited this type of torso a number of times.



Anyway, this topic has come to mind because a 1995 painting of Freud’s, Benefits Supervisor Sleeping, is coming up for auction at Christie’s on May 13th. If you think you might like a large painting of a voluptuous woman on a dilapidated sofa hanging above your mantelpiece, now’s your chance. It’s offered from a private European collection and it has been estimated that it will sell for $25 million to $35 million. If so, it will set a record for any work by a living artist to be sold at auction. I understand the woman who posed for this painting, one Sue Tilley, was paid $40 to do so. I would do it for less if it included some decent coffee, a fresh bagel (with a generous helping of cream cheese) and, of course, a well-heated atelier.

Update - April 25, 2008

This received from yet another peanut gallery. An unsolicited contribution, without comment, but yet another gleeful insult to my personal anatomy. Harrumph!




Update - May 18, 2008

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping sold at auction to a Russian billionaire for $33,641,000. Her beauty will grace his private residence and will not be displayed in a museum. Certain individuals are dismayed by this turn of events and certain individuals are pleased with this outcome.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the first time I was in a hotel bathroom that had a full length mirror opposite the shower and stepped soaking wet into an unexpected confrontation with my own naked, dripping and all too human flesh. It was a rude shock to catch a glimpse of the uncompromising, unfiltered reality of myself. I wouldn't have such a picture on my wall for $35 million or $40.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home